Monday, July 1, 2013

jalapeno cheddar crackers


Spicy foods aren't my cup of tea to say the least, so when my friend requested we try the jalapeno cheddar crackers I was a little apprehensive. For being an adventurous cook, I have never ever bought a  jalapeno! It was only 12 cents... isn't that cute!? Ina's recipe for shortbread is divine and that is the base of these crackers. The food processor gets to do all the work and we just added ingredients. The ingredients included extra-sharp white cheddar, jalapeno, and chipotle chili powder. Like I said, I was nervous about the spice and the sweating that was sure to follow upon my first bite (or smell, let's be honest...) of the crackers but it turned out better than expected.

Upon making the dough, you then roll it into a log on a floured surface to then refrigerate it for one hour before cutting the log into slices and baking them. After chilling and slicing, the crackers were then brushed with an egg wash and some sea salt to then bake to their potential in the oven. The smell was fierce and we were getting excited. I poured a glass of milk just in case the spice was too much to handle and as I took that first hesitant bite... I didn't need the milk! These crackers are incredible. So flavorful and delicious. The spice I was expected was beautifully evened out in the shortbread and cheddar. Phew!

This recipe is a definite repeat. And my lucky co-workers get to eat the rest tomorrow night!




No comments:

Post a Comment