Saturday, January 12, 2013

crispy mustard-roasted chicken, balsamic-roasted brussels sprouts, & parmesan crisps

A trip to the farmer's market with friends this morning was just what I needed on a dreary Saturday morning. Not only did it provide fun, but some of the unique ingredients I needed to make tonight's meal. Cooking for one is quite a difficult task so I halved one of the recipes. It still turned out delightful and I have leftovers for a couple days... not years.

I started with the chicken. The sauce was incredibly unique (Grey Poupon mustard and Chardonnay) and the breading equally so. I will admit, I would have enjoyed tasting more of the honey mustard but the chicken baked tenderly.


Then came the brussels sprouts. I tried these little babies for the first time in college and inherited their fondness from a roommate. A kind woman at the market sold me a bundle of these; home grown. The pancetta added a wonderful flavor of saltiness which usually would make me cringe but this was absolutely perfect.

Finally, I made the parmesan crisps. The recipe called for a block of Parmesan Reggiano cheese but when I made it to the register this evening, it rang up as $15.54! Absolutely not. I opted out for shredded and saved myself over $10.00. Oh yes - frugal and cute. That's how I roll. I only added 1/2 of the salt the recipe called for but I could have done without it completely. Overall, this meal was tasty and I will be eating if for quite some time. Probably four days. Like I said, cooking for one is quite a difficult task.





No comments:

Post a Comment